Tuesday 13 May 2014

Z-Star 16 Tons EP + Live Review

Hello!

Today I will be talking about a fantastic band I discovered at the Brighton Fringe festival on Saturday. The name, Z-Star, the game, to create some powerful blues/rock music.

Before I get into the review I'd like to say that female blues singers are really shining through at the moment. I have discovered more female singers that have really impressed me than male of late. The people I'm talking about are Beth Hart (she'll be coming to this blog soon), Colleen Rennison (from the band No Sinner, check out the review) and then we have Zee Gachette, the singer for Z-Star for whom is one to watch out for!

On with the review!


EP Review:

So, Z-Star are definitely a band that are making music that sounds very exciting. Zee's singing is incredible in these songs, its nice to hear a singer really push their voices to the limit. On the record it sounds like she is performing in the EP instead of just singing for the record, so confident and always pushing the boundaries. 


The song '16 Tons of Love' is definitely the strongest song on the album, driving bass and drums accompanied by the guitar for the riff.  The structure to the song keeps you motivated till the end. The drums do a great job of splitting the verses and chorus' apart with the use of toms for the verse. It also accompanies the low bass line to make the verse a very solid introduction to the song and throughout. 



'The Good Woman' tones it down from the hard driving lines in 16 Tons, but has very clever sections to this song. From the word go it sounds like a very heavy song, but tones down to a funk/blues song with Zee's vocals really shining through on this song. Even with a section that is completely different to the song can assure you that this band mean business! 

All of the structures in the songs are really well laid out and studied to keep the listener entertained throughout. Although from time to time I come across a new band and their songs have hope, but its very 'samey'. This band are different which is half the reason why I am making this blog. 
Now let me move onto their live performance where I saw the band for the first time. 


Live Review:

I was volunteering for The Great Escape festival and I was given a few hours just to have a look around at some of the acts and as I was walking along New Road in Brighton, I could hear someone cranking a guitar up and it sounded exciting so I couldn't resist. I was given a flyer and one review said "one blues/rock band to watch out for", being a blues lover anyway, I was pretty sold to watching these guys. 

From the first 2 songs, I knew this band were fantastic. So much energy to provide and give to the audience. Zee's performance skills are through the roof, she was a born entertainer. The confidence that comes from everyone in that band makes them hard to not look away from. Everyone is moving about, communicating, interacting with the audience and just having a damn good time which is what everyone wants to see. 

If you think Zee's singing only sounds good on the record, you are wrong. If anything it sounds better live, pushing more limits and boundaries and setting the bar for this band very high. 

I'm not sure if the guitarist is different from the EP to the performance because he seemed to be a lot more confident live with his solo's. In some ways he was giving it more than 100% on the performance because I noticed after the first song his whole palm of his hand was bleeding!? Rock and roll man! 

Z-Star at The Brighton Fringe
If you ever get the chance to see this band live, then go check them out as this is definitely a band I would love to see again. They were only on for 45 minutes, but their performance has still stuck with me. 


Thank you for taking your time once again to read my blogs, it is always greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment