Wednesday 17 September 2014

Album Review ~ Gregory Porter ~ Liquid Spirit

Hello!

Welcome to blog post 33, I hope everyone is doing well! Today I have a wonderful artist I discovered a few days ago called Gregory Porter who is a downright wicked jazz/soul singer! The album is full of gems and such a wonderful pick up for me to find!

Gregory Porter comes from California and was originally going to become a professional footballer, but due to injuries that put his career at an end (thank god too!). His debut album "Water" was nominated for 'Best Vocal Jazz Album' at the 53rd Grammy's! His following record titled "Be Good" was very popular in the Netherlands and got lot of recognition for his soulful jazz voice. 

His latest album Liquid Spirit has attracted a lot of attention from across the globe with a number 12 spot in the UK album charts, 8 in Germany and 7 in Denmark! Porter's breakthrough into the mainstream market is becoming apparent with much coverage on BBC Radio 2 and some on BBC Radio 6 as well. 



Liquid Spirit warms your heart, calms you down and lets you forget about your troubles. It sends you on a little journey with Gregory through the world of jazz, but on a completely different scale. In some respects the music has its own genre in the form of jazz, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I think its the soul element throughout the record that makes this album different to most jazz albums. 

Radio 2 have been pushing the song "The 'In' Crowd" which is a very fast paced jazz tune. It can really get your head nodding with the pace from the four piece. It was such a relief to hear this type of music on BBC Radio 2 during the day, they certainly brought out the stops for this song. 

The musicians in this album are amazing. I have to give a huge applause from myself of how professional and impressive the other musicians are to make this album what it is. Gregory's singing just sounds so effortless. Though his voice can't be faulted, its the perfect blend of melodic power and I'm glad he's gone down the route of jazz and soul.



A personal favourite of mine isn't exactly jazz when you first hear it, but I just instantly fell in love with the song and Gregory's voice from this song alone. The song is "Hey Laura" and it was really the reason I bought the album. I love jazz anyway, but even if I didn't, his voice convinced me to buy the whole album just from one song. Its so simple, but calming and just a perfect example of how beautiful music is. 

Songs like "Movin'", "Liquid Spirit" and "Wind Song" keep the momentum of the record going. Whilst you can easily relax and wind down to songs like "Brown Grass", "Wolfcry" and "I Fall In Love Too Easily". 

The duo of a pianist and Gregory Porter to me personally is just pure heaven. There's no other way to describe it, this album has made me realise why I fall in love with music. Beautiful pieces like this album need to be listened too and I hope everyone who reads this will agree with me. 

Let me know what you all thought of the album and if you would buy the album off the face off the one song I'll leave as the video for the review, "Hey Laura".

Until next time and thanks for reading

Lewis





Facebook - www.facebook.com/gregoryportermusic

Twitter - twitter.com/I_GregoryPorter

Youtube - www.youtube.com/user/GregoryPorterMusic

No comments:

Post a Comment