Wednesday 8 October 2014

Album Review ~ We The Kings ~ Somewhere Somehow


Hello!

Welcome to blog post 36! Today I have an album that I have been listening to since its release last year and a band that I've been following for a good 2/3 years. 

We The Kings are a pop-punk band from Florida, USA and have always been a band I can fall back on for some great music. Their previous albums were a fantastic listen, as it was some ace American pop-punk tunes. Catchy, grungy, rocky with that dose of pop sprinkled on it to make me not listen to them.

We The Kings members are:

Travis Clark - Vocals/Guitar
Hunter Thomsen - Guitar/ Backing Vocals
Charles Trippy - Bass
Coley O'Toole - Keys/Backing Vocals/Guitar
Danny Duncan - Drums/ Percussion

I originally got into the band through Youtuber and bassist of the band Charles Trippy (CTFxC) when he had just joined the band (along with Coley O'Toole). I checked them out and I loved their sound they were producing and was surprised they weren't as well known as they were back in 2011. Releasing albums such as "Sunshine State of Mind" and "Smile Kid" they have just been escalating in their fame which is great to see because these guys deserve it! 

I went to see them live at the beginning of 2013 at Scala in London. Its safe to say, these guys rock on stage. The amount of energy they put into their shows is insane. They even made Hunter disappear with the insane amounts of smoke they were churning out in that small venue. A fantastic night and I was lucky enough to meet the band afterwards (expect Travis). 




So when the announcement of "Somewhere Somehow" was being announced I was really looking forward to some more music from the band. My first impressions on the album was certainly that it was...different. They have definitely matured with their sound, but I can't help but feel its lost its 'punk' side to the other albums and the sound that I was so familiar with. 


Giving the album some time, I have grown to love the album personally. Yes it does sound a lot different to the older albums, but they have always had that 'pop' persona about their sound. Songs like "Feel Alive" and "See You In My Dreams" have great chorus' that you can still head bang to, but not with so much grunge or punk. That doesn't mean they've lost their rock taste or that their live performances have numbed down...oh no!

At points I do personally feel like its moved too far away from the punk sides in songs such as 'Live Young Die Forever'. Purely for the fact that its electronic drums being used and as a drummer myself, I personally think acoustic has such a more powerful effect on songs. This is just personal preference though. 



I think some bands need that change to really make it in the business. This album has given the biggest step forward so far for the 5 piece and its easy to see why. The band have produced a fantastic record full of catchy rhythms, powerful chorus' and an all round lovable record to listen to. 

If I could describe the album in one it would be 'Fun'. The reason for this is just because each song doesn't make me really focus on anything too seriously. Each song has a 'fun' tone and has this vibe throughout to reflects on the bands live performance too. 

I have to give some major credit to the vocalist Travis for his wicked voice and great songwriting. If you look up the lyrics for each of the songs on any album, they have been really thought about and fit with each song We The Kings have released. That isn't easy to do either, but he makes it look easy!



The songs you should go check out are "Find You There", "Feel Alive", "Just Keep Breathing" and "Art Of War". All the others are great, but these are the ones to check out if you don't have time. 

Somewhere Somehow is out now in all good record stores and let me know what you thought of the songs/album if you've heard it! 

Thanks for reading and until next time

Lewis 










No comments:

Post a Comment