Saturday 13 December 2014

Top 5 Albums Of 2014 *50th Review Special*

Hello and welcome to a very special review for Love Life, Love Music. I will be looking back at the top 5 albums of 2014 that I have reviewed on this blog. They don't have to have been released in 2014, they are albums that I have reviewed this year on my blog. At the end of the Top 5 you can find links to all the artists reviews on my blog. So sit back and guess which albums have made it onto the top 5 list! Lets go!

5. Honeyblood - Self Titled



When I first heard this album a few months back I was blown away with their unique and very 90's alternative rock/punk sound. With the Scottish female duo storming the playlists of Radio 1 and Radio 6 Music its no wonder they're becoming one of the hottest acts this year. Along with being part of the NME newcomer tour this year too they are ones to watch in 2015.

Songs such as "Fall Forever", "Killer Bangs" and "Choker" make this band very distinctive and don't sound like anything else out there. This album is a unique experience and one that I think everyone should give a listen to if you enjoy alternative rock.




4. Royal Blood - Self Titled



This is another duo that have excelled in the industry this year. These guys took the summer by storm and shot straight to number one in the UK top 40 album charts.  It was a special occasion because these guys are all about powerful rock. Its been ages since an album that's complete rock from top to bottom beat everything out the way to push straight to number one. This album was named 'The Re-Birth Of Rock' and I would agree. With the clever pedals and other technology, the bass is made to sound like a guitar and everyone was amazed on how this was done. 

Simple beats, but hard hitting fulfill this album and even though the record is just under 35 minutes long, its worth every minute. I was very impressed with each song and how different they sound from each other considering this is only a duo producing this music all in the same genre. Songs like "Figure It Out", "Little Monster" and "Come On Over" are real rock out songs, I have blasted this out in my car without a care in the world. I just hope other rock bands will follow suit. 




3. Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit



It comes to no surprise to me when this was one of the first albums I wanted in my top 5. Gregory Porter's album Liquid Spirit introduced me to one of the best male vocals in jazz at the current time. Very slick, smooth and just makes it look so easy to sing these incredible notes and any vocalist will know its very difficult to sing jazz in the first place. 

Watching a preview video for the album it showed how much Gregory puts into the album and shows how much talent this guy has. He writes all the music and composes each part, writes the lyrics and produces the music along with a producer to make sure it sounds to his desires. For someone to do that is extremely special and not many people do all of these things when recording an album. Each song is special and has a real identity and spirit to it which is rare to find in albums. Songs like "Liquid Spirit", "Hey Laura" and "Water Under Bridges" are personal songs to me and if you give the album a listen, you'll have your own personal songs from this album. 




2. The Cape Race - Home,Truths



This album was a close first because of the amount that I've been listening to these boys. The Cape Race are a rock band from Manchester and they know how to produce a quality rock album. A top quality rock album. Each song has a punchy, powerful and catchy at the same time. The vocals for this album are what make this band so unique, powerful raspy voice echoes throughout the whole record. 

A well recorded and produced album that has had me put this on repeat since its release. This was easily my summer album and chill out to and headbang away in the car, bus, train, anywhere! Its not a heavy rock album for the most part so it appeals to a large audience, though at times it gets heavy and good heavy too! The band know how to rock out in style and do it in the best way possible. I highly recommend this album to anyone who remotely is into rock because you won't turn back!





Drum roll for number 1....



1. Paolo Nutini - Caustic Love



Back in April 2014, one of the best albums of the year was released. When I first heard it from top to bottom, I instantly said "this could be my album of the year already". Come the end of the year and it still is...by a clear mile. This album came out of nowhere for me, it was an amazing surprise. I hadn't listened to Paolo Nutini a great deal before then with his previous album so I wasn't excited for this album or knew when it was coming out. 

I was extremely surprised with the pure quality that this album offers. From the songwriting to session musicians, I can't fault it. I always try find one thing that is wrong or could've been changed with an album, but this is just too good. Listening to the record from top to bottom is an experience, each song having its own unique identity. Paolo's voice has matured from the 5 year gap between his old album. Emotional, pure and faultless from his vocals which just blew me away from the first track. 

I really enjoyed the interludes in the album, not many people can pull them off but the obscurity of them is genius. Each song makes me think "how does one person come up with this song, how did he get to where this song is". Its nothing like I've heard this year and I encourage you all to buy this album on any platform. I have bought it on vinyl and as a digital download and the artwork in the vinyl sleeves are so pretty and worth the money without even listening to the album itself. 




So...there we have it, my top 5 albums of the year. Did you guess which one was going to be number one? This year has been crazy for my blog, I started it in March this year and have never looked back or regretted it. 

I wanted to thank all of you who have read my blog so far (and thanks to those in the future too). Thank you to every company or individual who has emailed me with new music, news, tours and even Christmas cards! Its been a rollercoaster and next year will be even better. This is also my 50th post as well and thinking that I've reviewed 50 artists on my blog is outstanding. Keep listening to amazing music and support live music too!

Thank you very much for reading and have a very merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Lewis 


5. Honeyblood Review

4. Royal Blood Review

3. Gregory Porter Review

2. The Cape Race Review

1. Paolo Nutini Review



No comments:

Post a Comment