Wednesday 9 July 2014

EP Review - 'Never Have Enough', Carnival Youth


Hello! 

Welcome to blog post 20! 20!? How time flies! Today I have a special treat for you in the name of a young Latvian band called 'Carnival Youth'. These guys contacted me and asked if I would review their EP for them. I was privileged when I heard the sound these teens were creating. This EP is out July 21st and I cannot wait to buy it, here's why...

The band 'Carnival Youth' formed only 2 years ago and have a very Bombay Bicycle feel to them with some indie pop and folk thrown into the mix (sounds tasty right!?). Its a nice mix to say the least and one that is refreshing to my ears. The band have managed to create music which is extremely clever for teenagers to produce and create.

The EP sounds like the band have been together for 10 years and this is their 4th studio album, but instead this is their first EP!? Its got a really good vibe to the whole sound of the EP that can crank up at an instant by bringing the whole band in, to then being very atmospheric. The song "Seasons" does this very well, its one of the more louder songs and really fits nicely in the EP coming 3rd out of 5 songs. You know it's got that energy and aura about because it when you turn it off for 5 minutes and turn it back on there is a distinct feel of excitement and that 'wall of sound'.



Once the EP starts playing I can't help but nod my head to the beat of the music. They have made some great melodies throughout the EP. The vocals aren't too strenuous to listen to either, its easy going and I like that monotone voice for the band. It suits the vibe well, if he decided to try stretch his voice throughout the songs, it wouldn't work. 

The strongest song on the EP is the last song called "Never Have Enough" and also the title of the EP. The song starts off with just tambourine and guitar to then introduce the piano with the main melody. This clever little tune has a great change for the chorus which lifts the whole vibe of the song to change to a shuffle and a key change, it definitely needed it to keep the song growing strong. By the third listen I was already humming along to the whole song.


I always enjoy a whole album to keep on a constant rollercoaster. This band do this throughout, where your ears don't know what is coming next during the tracks. 

Is it going to breakdown? Is it going to start building up? Just when your mind starts to think these through, they're throwing you off to something completely different. 

The one thing that intrigued me the most when I stumbled across a live video of them playing was the fact the drummer was also the lead singer!? I was astonished because being a drummer, I know how difficult it is to sing and play at the same time. Especially the level he is playing at for a teenager too, incredible talent! 




My personal favourite is 'Brown Eyes', its got a nice guitar melody to it to then come in with a well written drum part. The chorus is very punchy, more hard hitting than the verse which keep my head bopping (you'll have to see for yourself)!

This band are doing very well with getting the attention of the business as they have done festivals such as The Great Escape in Brighton.  They are also already booked to perform at some of Eastern Europe's biggest music festivals this summer including Sziget, and Positivus; Carnival Youth perform the following UK dates:

July 20 - Guilfest Festival
21 Lock Tavern, London (EP launch)
22 Purple Turtle, Reading
23 The Garage, London (w/ The Escapists + The Half Earth)


Look out for this bands name in the next few years as I feel they are going to blow up quickly and I have been privileged to review this EP of theirs. I look forward to going to one of their gigs very soon and don't forget to check out their EP which comes out on the 21st July 2014!

Thank you very much for reading and until next time

Lewis





Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CarnivalYouth

Twitter: https://twitter.com/CarnivalYouth

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/carnivalyouth





No comments:

Post a Comment