Sunday 31 August 2014

*BONUS* Discussion ~ Rock Vs Pop

Hello, 

Welcome to blog post 30. Today I want to expand on my review I published on Wednesday about the new Twin Atlantic album and how they have moved from a real rock band to purposefully writing 'pop' songs for more publicity.

Personally, I feel this is becoming more of a trend than just a one off thing for bands to do. Now, this is just my opinion, I am entitled to it and if you think I am wrong then that's okay, but I just hope you understand my points I will be making in this post. 

So... when I was around 16/17 I was going through a phase of listening to a lot of rock/punk and sometimes metal. The bands that I would listen to constantly would be Paramore, Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, 30 Seconds To Mars and Alter Bridge. This to me was how people should rock on their albums. Keeping up high tempo most of the time with a lots of guitar rhythms and catchy lines. 

So after listening to albums such as "Riot" and "Brand New Eyes" from Paramore. When it came around to their new album I was pretty excited to hear what they had to offer considering they were now down to 3 members and the singles "Monster" and "Renegade" before the album 'Paramore' got me pumped. 

When the first single from the album came along called "Now", I was disappointed in the sound. I couldn't hear that driving guitar that was so precious in the albums before. I was hoping the second single would provide more promise. Again, I was let down, another 'pop' sound. There were no rock elements to the album at all and I was so disappointed. Especially when Hayley Williams was saying "this is the album we've always wanted to make". 

This example of Paramore isn't the first time that I have been disappointed with new albums from bands that I absolutely adored in my teens. This is starting to become a regular appearance. Its ruining my excitement for new albums if bands just keep producing pop for the larger audiences. I can understand why they want to do it, but people like myself are just getting fed up with every poxy band churning some pop crap out. 

This happened with the new Twin Atlantic album and personally I didn't think it was possible for them because their album 'Free' was insane and I thought building on the foundations of that album, you couldn't go wrong! Oh how wrong I was...

I don't know if I'm the only one that is noticing so many bands lately with a rock 'nature' about them are just producing songs for the charts, for Radio 1 and nothing for the audiences like myself. Its all about getting coverage these days, getting known, but in completely the wrong way. The only way to do this at the moment is create a happy - go - lucky song with some major chords, some kind of trumpet or saxophone playing a catchy riff and the band shouting "YEAAHH, YEAAAHH" or "WOOAAHH", "WOAAAH"...so creative... 

The day that a rock band makes a solid rock album after their successful first one will be the day I can jump in the air and be happy. Right now though, rock is dying out and pop is taking over badly. I have hope and promise still for a few bands such as The Cape Race (check their review out on my blog) and Mallory Knox who are rocking the Radio 1 playlists right now. 

The Cape Race - 'Home,Truths'


I hope everyone now understands my views and points where I am coming from about this issue. Its been playing on my mind for a while now and I thought this was the perfect time to say something especially with the new Twin Atlantic album being a real shocker. 

Thanks for reading and until next time

Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment