Wednesday 6 August 2014

Single Review - The Courtesans, 'Genius'



Hello!

Welcome to blog post 24! Today I am letting you all know about a female indie/alternative four piece band that are hitting the music business hard and not being portrayed as you're typical girl band. These girls are throwing the book out of the window on 'how to be the perfect girl band' by twisting and bending it in such a spectacular fashion that its caught the attention of many people. 

The Courtesans are Sinead Le Bella (vocals), Saffire Sanchez (guitar), Agnes D. Jones (bass) and Victoria Brown (drums). The single is the first song off their new album that will be released on 8th September called '1917'. Until then, the latest single 'Genius' is looking at the portrayal of the 'perfect girl' and that never ending search for her. Thus seeing young teens falling for the cheap lipstick, botoxing, slimming pill versions rather than one of those less genuine natural girls that get hidden in the darkness. 

From the first couple of lines in this song, you can tell this isn't your average girl band song. 



"Holding a gun to his head, she says
Do you love me? 
Do you love me?
Counting down the bullets she says
One for you, One for me
One for you, One for me"


Now, does that sound like something that Little Mix or The Saturdays will sing!? I love this dark side to the such loved cliché for a band. These girls have a fantastic image too that'll have you looking twice...once in shock and two in awe of their adventurousness. Their hair style is brilliant for the band image. Thick, long hair that has colours of red, bright blue, blonde and black, the perfect mix!

The start of the song, sounds like something from any ordinary song and then the struck of a chord on a guitar changes the mood completely. I do like the fact that all the girls in the band play a different instrument and don't all just sing otherwise that wouldn't make this band so unique. I do think that in recent years, girl bands are making a comeback for the greater good and The Courtesans are setting a great example to bring back the image in style!

Don't just take my word for this band, here are some other people's thoughts too:

"...dripping with a melodrama, intellect and wispy mystery not heard around these parts since early Garbage and Shakespeare's Sister" God Is In The TV Zine
"they're tight, they're funky and they’re absolutely terrifying" Never Enough Notes
"a sensual 4 piece audio and visual experience", Hellhound Music
"..saw The Courtesans live and still have not recovered" The Von Pip Musical Express

 Looks like that's all I've got time for today! Do go check the band out and watch the video down below. Another quick thank you to everyone who has been viewing my blog and got it over the 2000 milestone! Amazing, I cannot thank you enough! 

If any artist/managers want to contact me for reviews, then my email is in the 'contact me' section up the top of the page, these guys came to me with open arms and of course I agreed! Yours could be next too!?

Until next time!

Lewis




Wesbite: http://www.thecourtesans.org/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecourtesans

Twitter: https://twitter.com/the_courtesans

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CatrionaVillenhardt/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment